Practical Implementation of the Factorial Design with R
Keywords:statistical programming language R, metadata experimental design in the survey, vignette, construction of questionnaire, D-effectiveness sampling
In the article considered the methodological and practical features of the implementation of experimental design (factorial design) in the survey. This type of survey design is come from social psychology and looks very similar to conjoint analysis but gives possibility to use this method in mass surveys. We focused on the implementation of this method in R statistical program. This program was selected as one of the most popular (10th place in common rating of programming languages) and modern free programming language which is developing mostly for data analysis. Therefore we describe all steps of realization of this method in R: construction of the questionnaire, forming an array of vignettes, modeling of orthogonally efficient sample, processing and presentation of results. Design tested in pilot study of factors influencing the selection of students (for this pilot survey was selected 50 students of magistracy of Sociology Faculty of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv) first job, which was presented as an example implementation of the method in R. We tried to write whole code with maximum explanation. Finally some results was presented as linear regression model.
2. Auspurg, K., Jäckle, A. (2012), First Equals Most Important? Order Effects in Vignette-Based Measurement. ISER Working Paper 2012-01, University of Essex: Institute for Social and Economic Research. https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124115591016
3. Hinz, T. Auspurg, K., Liebig, S. (2009), Complexity, Learning Effects, and Plausibility of Vignettes in Factorial Surveys, Paper accepted for the ASA-Conference 2009, http://kops.uni-konstanz.de/bitstream/handle/ 123456789/15067/Hinz%20etal.pdf?sequence=2
4. R Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing (2015), Vienna, Austria, http://www.R-project.org/
5. Wheeler, R. E. (2009), Comments on algorithmic design, CRAN documentation, p. 59, https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/AlgDesign/vignettes/AlgDesign.pdf
6. Marchenko, А., Sydorov, М. (2014), Methodical specificity of factorial surveys (on the example of pilot study of the role of ideological issues in friendships), Methodology, theory and practice of sociological analysis of contemporary society, Issue 20, Pp. 116–122.
7. “The job placement of students of the Faculty of sociology. Activities after studies”, http://www.soc.univ.kiev.ua/uk/nauka/diyalnist-pislya-zakinchennya-navchannya
8. “The job placement of students of the Faculty of sociology. Search the first job”, http://www.soc.univ.kiev.ua/uk/nauka/poshuk-pershoyi-roboti
9. “The job placement of students of the Faculty of sociology. Factors of choice a workplace”, http://www.soc.univ.kiev.ua/uk/nauka/faktori-viboru-robochogo-miscya