Social Space of a Polyethnic City as a Factor Determining Ethnic Tolerance of the Youth
Keywords:city, the social environment, the youth, poly-ethnic, ethnic tolerance
An increasing role of the ethnic factor in a social life of the poly-ethnic city inevitably raises the question of threat that can be hidden in inter-ethnic conflicts. The are important current issues to reveal the role of urban social environment in the formation of ethnic tolerance of the youth at the regional and local levels and to search ways for adjustment of inter-ethnical relations in the youth poly-cultural stratum of particular cities and regions with a sustained polyethnicity. Given that two thirds of current Ukraine ’s population lives in cities the conditions of life are shaped by the subjects of the urban environment and simultaneously affect the worldview of both a local part of the youth and that part moving for training or employment from villages. Therefore, in modern development conditions of Ukrainian society the formation of tolerant relations among youth is a strategic task, because predominantly the youth groups are to a great extent poly-cultural, and it is the tolerance as a person ’s quality that can help in preventing conflicts between young people and reaching mutual understanding in society.
2. Drydze, T. M. (2005), The city as a living environment and social problems in the metropolitan metropolitan area, Socially-based town planning, Moscow, 53 p.
3. Zhelnyna, A. (2011), "Here as a museum": a shopping center as a public, spacehttp://newstreetuniver.livejournal.com/183462.html.
4. Foreign students poured into Ukraine (2012), http://infoline.sumy.ua/news.php?country=1&article=79
5. Karpov, A. E. (2001), Distinction. Space in the city , Journal of Sociology of Education, No. 2, Vol. 1, http://www.sociologica.ru/Journal/02sta1.pdf.
6. Kozer, L. A. (2000), The Functions of Social Conflict, Moscow : Idea-press, 295 p.
7. Mid, D. (2007), Mind, Self and Society, Moscow : Direct-Media, 34 p.
8. Population of Ukraine. 2010: demographic collection (2011), Kyiv : State Statistics Service of Ukraine, 442 p.
9. “Parliamentary hearings on the theme: "Ethnonational politics: accomplishments and prospects"”, http://www.edinaya-odessa.org/st/39089-gosudarstvennaya-etnonacionalnaya-politika-ukrainy-ot-plavilnogo-kotla-do-kulturnoy-mozaiki.html.
10. “Public space in the sociology of the city. Problems of public space in St. Petersburg. Lecture” (2009), http://www.urban-club.ru/?p=89.
11. Zhulkevska, O. V., Hryshchenko, M. V. (2012), Public space of the city as an object of sociological study and an empirical reference for social change, Sociological Studios, No. 1, Pp. 61–66.
12. Results of the poll of youth of Ukraine on the theme of tolerance (2009), http://tolerant.org.ua/category/iniziat_realizovano-articles-about/rezultati_opituvannya_molodi_ ukraini_ na_temu_tolerantnosti.html.
13. Shmankevych, T. (2005), The "shrinking" city is a new segregation, The Baikal Siberia: what is the result of the stability, Moscow, Irkutsk: Natalis, Pp. 295–307.