Families of Migrant Workers: the Social and Living Conditions of Children by their Parents Away
Keywords:children of migrant workers, the institution of the family, labor migration, social and psychological health, socialization
The number of temporary working migrants recently increased in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe including Ukraine. As a result, apart from the labour force flow-out, quite a serious problem has arisen – the formation of distant families, in which principles of healthy and nuclear family functioning are violated. The abovementioned problem made topical solving of the tasks concerning the analysis of labour migration motives, the influence of labour migration phenomenon on the family institution, teenagers’ socialization mechanism in distant families. In the article the interrelation between the parents’ (working migrants’) absence and deviation in interpersonal relationships, the formation of certain social- psychological problems, and passive social attitude of the working migrants’ children is concluded. A conclusion is made as to the labour migration being one of the reasons to ruin family relationships and to distort socialization mechanism as well as the factor to increase the emigration risk.
2. Antonian N. (2006), Foreign labor migration in Ukraine as a demographic issue, http:www.dialogs.org.ua
3. Halustian Yu. M., Doroshok, I. A. (2006), Problems of Children of Labor Migrants: An Analysis of the Situation, Kyiv : International Women's Rights Center "La Strada-Ukraine", Ukrainian Institute of Sociological Studies named after. Alexander Yaremenko, Kirovohrad Law Institute, Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs, 64 p.
4. Hevchuk N. S. (2009), Social-psychological problems of education of children of labor migrants, http://archive.nbuv.gov.ua/portal/soc_gum/znpkp/sp/ 2009_11/3.pdf
5. Lukavets Z., Ivankova-Stetsiuk, O., Taranova, A. (2009), Report materials of the sociological study "Children of migrant workers: features of social behavior", http://caritas-ua.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id= 220&Itemid=23.
6. Psychological Service of Chernivtsi Oblast - 2005: Strategies of activity: educational method. Manual (2005), Chernivtsi, 56 p.
7. Levchenko, K. B., Trubavinoi, I. M., Tsushko, I. I. (2007), Socio-pedagogical and psychological work with children of migrant workers: educational method. manual, Kyiv : Kupriyanov, 204 p.