Poverty In Ukraine In Terms of Social Statistics
Keywords:poverty level, absolute poverty, relative poverty, consumer basket, poverty line
The essence and types of poverty are defined. The basic methods of objective assessment of poverty and the main their shortcomings are considered. The numbers of poor citizens in Ukraine according to the different methods of measurement are given. In particular, due to the concept of absolute poverty according to international criteria proposed by the UNO 2,9 % Ukrainians are considered poor. By the criterion of the minimum subsistence level 9,9 % are poor. By the relative criterion there are 26 % of poor Ukrainians. The main disadvantages of relative and absolute poverty are given. The conclusion about the practical use of objective assessments of poverty is done. The main of its drawbacks are the difficulties of obtaining timely, complete and accurate information on income, expenditure and available household’s resources. Particularly the issue is sensitive when it comes to research level and sources of income in the case of existing of the strong black sector that is characteristic for modern Ukraine.
2. The State Statistics Service of Ukraine, http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua.
3. Zanuda, A. (2012), 21 years of independence: food costs - more than 50% of average family income, http://www.bbc.co.uk/ukrainian/business/ 2012/08/120823_ukraine_independence_people_az.shtml.
4. Information and analytical note on the living standards of the population in January-August 2013 (2013), Ministry of Social Politics of Ukraine, http://www.mlsp.gov.ua/labour/ control/uk/publish/category?cat_id.
5. The Poverty Line in Ukraine and Europe, Z-Ukraine statistics, economics, trends, http://zet.in.ua/socium/mezha- bidnosti-v-ukraini-ta-yevropi.
6. Monitoring of the development of the social sphere of Ukraine for 2012 (2013), Center for Advanced Social Research, http://www.hiv.org.ua/UserFiles/ новини/2013/М_2012_2007.pdf.
7. "On Approval of the State Target Social Program for Prevention and Prevention of Poverty for the Period until 2015" (2011), Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated August 31, 2011 No. 105, http://zakon1.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1057-2011-п
8. "On approval of the Integrated Assessment of Poverty Methodology" (2012), Order of the MSP No. 629 dated 08.10.2012, http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z1785.
9. On the events on the occasion of the celebration of the World Social Justice Day in 2013 (2012), Regulation of the Presidium of the FPU dated December 11, 2012 No. П-15-7, http://fpsu.org.ua/pro-fpu/chlenski-organizatsiji/vseukrajinski-galuzevi-profspilki/142-den-socialnoi-spravedlivosti/247-zahodysocsprav
10. Chupryna, O. O. (2011), Social Inequality and Poverty in Ukraine, Bulletin of the National Law Academy of Ukraine named after Yaroslav the Wise. Series: Economic Theory and Law, No. 2, Vol. 5, Pp. 57–66.
11. Zik: The Power of Information (2013), http://zik.ua/ua/news/2013/10/17/373907.