The Intercultural Interaction Content of Media in Multi-Ethnic Region
Keywords:еthnicity, intercultural co-operation, tolerance, mass-media, report
The necessity of comprehensive study of the phenomenon of communication in the context of socio-cultural reality of our time and polylogue cultures becomes important in light of peculiarities of the development of communication processes under the condition of the formation of new civilizational relations. The intercultural communication is of special importance in multinational regions, one of which is Zaporizhia Priazovye. This study is aimed to explore the role of local media in the process of maintaining ethnic harmony and tolerance in Melitopol as a reference multicultural environment. Conclusion is made on the basis of content analysis of local media reports (newspaper «Melitopol’s’ki vedomosti» and TV channel «MTV-plus»). It shows that the social development of the region is largely determined by the development level of inter-group and inter-ethnic communication and, therefore, it depends on the socio-legal functioning component of the media. Local media, realizing the specific area of their distribution, does not release information that could aggravate inter-ethnic relations. Moreover, information about ethnic subjects is usually given only in a positive manner. It is low-leveled but still promotes to regulate international relations.
2. Krylov, M. V., Arabadzhi, O. S. (2005), Main tendencies and peculiarities of ethno-historical development of Zaporizhia Priazovaya, Ethno-social existence of peoples of Zaporizhzhia Priazovye in the geocultural context: monograph, Zaporozhye: Regional State Administration; Melitopol: MSPU; Simferopol: Tavriya, Pp. 45–57.
3. Savrutskaia, E. P. (2004), The phenomenon of communication in the modern world, Actual problems of communication theory, St. Petersburg : Publishing house of SPbSPU, Pp. 75–85.
4. Uorf, B. (2003), The relation of norms of behavior and thinking to language, The languages as an image of the world, Moscow : OOO "Publishing House AST"; St. Petersburg. : Terra Fantastica, Pp. 157–201.
5. Khabermas, Yu. (2003), Another way out of the subject's philosophy: the communicative mind against the mind of the subject-centered, The Philosophical discourse of modernity, Moscow : The whole world, Pp. 305–336.
6. Gerbner, G., Cross, L., Morgan, M., Signorielly, N. (1986), Living with Televison: The Dynamics of the Cultivation Process in Perspectives on Media Effects, Jennings Bryant and Dolf Zillmann (eds.), N. J., Pp. 17–40.