The Role of Stereotypes in Shaping Ethnic Identity
Keywords:stereotype, stereotyping of ethnic stereotypes, stigmatization, ethnic identity
The article analyzes the concept of stereotype, based on cognitive, psychological, historical approaches and theories that emphasize individual personality traits. It shows ethnic stereotypes as a kind of stereotype. The research on Ukrainian ethnic stereotypes, as factors shaping ethnic identity, is based on the attitude of Volyn region Ukrainians to Russians. It is focused on the core functions of ethnic stereotypes modern society as mechanisms regulating interethnic relations, namely, communicative,
cognitive, protective and heuristic. The main empirical focus is on the function of strengthening and protection of positive ethnic identity, which provides education of tribal ethno-cultural values. In particular, according to the Institute of Sociology of National Science Academy of Ukraine, it was found that social distances reduce mostly among representatives of Eastern ethnic groups living at this area.
2. Kara-Murza, S. H. (2005), Manipulation of consciousness, http://www.kara-murza.ru/books/manipul/manipul_content.htm.
3. Lavlinskyi, R. O. (2010), The Processes of the Formation and Functioning of a Stereotype in Consciousness, Philosophy. Culturology. Political science. Sociology, Vol. 24, No. 63, No. 3–4. – Pp. 204–210.
4. Panyna, N. (2005), Factors of national identity, tolerance, xenophobia and anti-Semitism in modern Ukraine, Sociology: theory, methods, marketing, No. 4, Pp. 27–29.
5. Larchenko, M. L. (2011), Ethnic Stereotypes and Their Impact on the Level of National Tolerance, Bulletin National Technical University of Ukraine "KPI". Politology. Sociology. Right, Vol. 4.
6. Fedotova, T. V. (2006), Psychological peculiarities of ethnic stereotypes of Ukrainians (on the example of the Volyn region), Practical psychology and social work, No. 3, Pp. 73–74.
7. Serdiuk, S. V. (2001), The Functions of Ethnic Stereotypes and Their Role in the Formation of Ethnic Identities, Scientific Notes, Vol. 19, 78 p.
8. “Problems of the development of sociological theory: social interpretation and social inequalities in the context of modern social transformations : materials of the All-Ukrainian scientific and practical conference” (2009), ed. by Kutsenko, O. D., Sudakova, V. I., Kyiv : Publishing Polygraphic Center "Kyiv University", 637 p.
9. Ukrainian Society 1992-2010. Sociological monitoring (2010), ed. by Vorona,V. M., Shulga, M, O., Kyiv : Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 636 p.